The Plaza District started as a commercial oasis at the end of the trolley line in the 1920’s, and continued it’s economic rise throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s. An area filled with drugstores, cleaners, shopping and the Plaza Theater attracted patrons and growth for the surrounding community. But, from the 1970’s through the 1990’s, dramatic changes pushed the area into decline and the crime rates rose.
Local residents and associations stepped up and in 1997, the restoration of the Plaza District began. What started as a grassroots movement has grown into the Plaza that we know and love today. With over 15 million dollars invested, the District has now transformed into over 32 thriving business that draw in people from all over the metro. Street festivals, boutique shopping and art galleries add to the culture; while The Mule, Empire Slice House and Saints offer some of the best grub you could hope to find. This has raised property values all through the surrounding areas, and it looks like the growth of the Plaza District isn’t slowing down for anyone.