Once you have closed on your house you can start moving! That is where the work begins. You have probably already packed up from your prior residence and in some cases, the moving van is waiting down the street for the final closing. Below is a checklist that will help you plan for the big day.
- Post Office: Give forwarding address.
- Charge Accounts, Credit Cards.
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks
- Cancel any automatic payment or direct deposit arrangements.
- Notify company of new location for coverages. Life, Health, Fire & Auto.
- Gas, Electricity, Water, Telephone, Fuel, Garbage, Cable TV / Internet, Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Laundry, Newspaper, change-over of services.
- Register at school
- Arrange for day care
Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories
- Ask doctor and dentist for referrals; transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, x-rays. Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Consult a vet about moving your pet, obtain records.
And Don’t Forget
- Empty refrigerator & freezer; plan use of foods.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator.
- Clean rugs & clothing before moving.
- Clean and/or repair furniture & curtains
- Plan for special care needs for your infants & pets.
- Assemble first day items – soap, toilet paper, pencils, paper, toiletries, bath towels, utility knife, scissors, trash bags, etc.
- Obtain relocation package from Real Estate agent or Chamber of Commerce in your new city.
- Arrange for storage if needed.
- Find out about tax-deductible moving expenses.
- Obtain all personal records from lawyers and accountants.
- Assemble packaging materials.
- Have car checked and serviced for trip.
- Pack a day or two worth of extra clothing in case of delay.
And On Moving Day
- Make a list of every item & box loaded onto the truck.
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Carry an assortment of toys for the children.
- Let a close friend or relative know route and schedule you will travel including overnight stops.
- Double check closets and drawers to make sure they are empty.
- Turn off all appliances and lock all doors.
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or owner with Realtor or neighbor.
- Let the movers know where you can be reached.
And at Your New House
- Check off all boxes and items as they come off the truck.
- Install new locks.
- Check on service of gas, electricity, water, telephone, garbage and cable TV.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask mail carrier for mail he or she may be holding for you.
- Apply for state driver’s license (or just address changes if needed).
- Visit city offices and register for voting.
- Register car within five (5) days after arrival in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership.
- Arrange for medical services: doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc.